Wednesday 14 September 2011

Sun and rock at last





8 years in Lochaber and this is the wettest summer I can remember. I was getting bored of the endless rain so today's showery forecast was an opportunity not to be missed and so Susie and I went to Ardnamurchan. This low lying peninsula stays drier than the mountainous areas around Glencoe and Fort William- probably because the moist maritime air doesn't get pushed high enough by higher ground to condense until it gets inland. Whatever the reason the gabbro crags of the ring dyke often provide good climbing when its hard to come by elsewhere in the West Highlands.
Today we headed for the best rock in the area which is on Meall Fhir Eoin Beag and the wind and the odd shower didn't stop us enjoying 8 great pitches of climbing. Great to feel shoes on my feet and dry rough rock under my hands!

No comments: